Monday, November 14, 2011

Things to consider when taking Amtrak

7 Travel tips for Amtrak

1. When buying a ticket for coach make a specific seat reservation to ensure a window seat. Window seat is the way to go. For me it was all about the view but also consider that you will have plenty of leg room in either seat and being against the window will give you a place to lean while trying to sleep.
2. A checked bike needs to be boxed (depending on the train) that means you have to remove the pedals and turn the handle bar sideways. I had to remove the handlebar from my bike because they were too high. 
$20 fee includes $5 for the box
3. Meals are not free in coach ($10-$25)
4. Meals are free if you're in a sleeper car. Also there is free coffee, juice and water outside the rooms in each car. Some other perks were a complimentary bottle of champagne when you board, a free local newspaper in the morning, and a free afternoon wine and cheese tasting. The attendant in my sleeper car was very helpful and friendly. 
5. The shower in the sleeper car is actually pretty decent. Towels are provided, but you should bring a pair of flip flops. 
6. The one major complaint I've heard from most travelers is that there is no wifi. Also since you are traveling through some very rural areas, cell phone reception and 3G can be spotty for portions of the ride. Some routes do offer wifi now such as the Starlight Express (which runs from Seattle to L.A.) but unfortunately the Empire Builder does not at this point.
7. At some stops (but not all) you can step off the train for a stretch, fresh air, or a smoke break (all trains are completely non-smoking). Stops are short and range from 3 to 20mins.

All in all I had a great trip. I was able to make do with out the wifi, but I had also researched this before my trip and had brought plenty of stuff to keep me occupied. Although I was able to tether to the internet through my iPhone at times, mostly around metropolitan areas, which can actually be for a couple hours at a time. So I didn't feel like I was completely disconnected from the world. But when I wanted to disconnect I could easily close the door to my room, draw the curtain and just zone out on the landscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment