Saturday, November 12, 2011

On the Train


    And I'm off! I must admit I had my doubts about        getting off the ground. But as I sit back in the solitude of my private "roomette" aboard Amtrak's super liner known as Empire Builder, I breathe a huge sigh of relief. Just now the train has left the small station in the town of Minot, ND. Its another 24 hrs until I get to Seattle and from there I will take a bus to Sedro-Woolley, WA. I'll be staying in Sedro-Woolley for about 2 months where I'll be living in a communal household dubbed the Woolley Mammoth. I'll save the description of the house for when I actually arrive.

The first leg of my trip, from DC to Chicago I rode in coach. This was an 18 hour ride and I spent that time sitting next to an 80 year old man named Marvin. Although Marvin was nothing less than pleasant the entire time, a man needs his space. I switched trains from the Capitol Limited to the Empire Builder in Chicago and it was here that I could finally have some privacy in my sleeper room. I can close myself off from the rest of the passengers and enjoy the countryside in solitude. Just me, my music, my window and 2,000 miles of beautiful landscapes.
I purchased my ticket for this 3 day excursion for only $428, this includes three meals a day while staying in the sleeper car. In coach the meals are not included. Broken down it was about $203 for the ticket from DC to Seattle, and about $225 for the added room from Chicago to Seattle. So if you wanted to rough it and go all the way across the country for $203 you could, but with the privacy of the sleeper room the trip becomes more of a vacation than just a train ride.

4 comments:

  1. Woot woot! Hope you are enjoying the ride, it sounds like a good time! Is that North Dakota in the vid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cheaper than DC to NYC! And the food? All the peanuts you want? (that's not scarcasm, it's envy. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good eye Nicky that is indeed North Dakota!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't Marvin get more love? You guys exchange numbers at least?

    ReplyDelete